The Certainty of Uncertainty
It doesn’t matter whether we’re in a recession or not. Only one thing is certain. The game has changed. It had to; it was totally unsustainable and simply could not go on. The lessons here are numerous; I ask you to focus on one to begin with.
Are you going to adapt to the new game, or continue trying to play the old one?
You can’t change the outcome of whether we go into a recession or not. It’s too late for that now. We need to focus on what we can change, what we can do to determine how this period of, let’s call it “uncertainty”, affects us.
Sorry, I have to digress here now that I’ve used the “U” word. I’ve been watching the economy steam towards what’s happening like there’s no tomorrow for some time now; nothing was more certain in my mind than this outcome we have now. North Americans and the western world in general have been living above their means for decades, we can all be certain of that. On top of that, oil is a finite resource. Now that we’ve seen the $100 barrel of oil, we can be certain we’ll see the $1000 barrel. It’s not a question of if; it’s a question of when.
Rather than get all depressed and overwhelmed by the above, let’s look at what it means. If we can make decisions and take action on what we know is true, we can move into uncertain times with certainty. We can move away from living in dreamland to creating a more sustainable future for our children, and their children, and their children’s children, etc, etc…
Some questions for you to ponder in moving forward:
- What measures can I take to protect myself and our members during this period of uncertainty?
- What kind of opportunities may come my way as a result of the changes taking place, and am I well positioned to take advantage of them?
- If not, why not?
- What do I need to let go of in order to move forward?
Remember, the key point I’m always reminding people of:
- When you change the way you see the world, you change the world.
- What kind of world do you want to create?
- Is that the world you’re seeing now? If not, its time to take a fresh look…